Friday, April 11, 2008

My First Match

Before we get on with the following article, a quick apology for the lack of new stuff going on this week. My excuse is that I've been on a hastily-organised holiday of sorts in the west of England in a place called Mere. It has few distinguishing features except for the fact that it's probably the last place in Britain to acknowledge the existence of the Internet.

I was staying in a cottage that has no connection to the World Wide Web, the nearest open wi-fi network was about five miles away and the only access I had to my blogsite was via a PC situated in a small local library 100 yards away from our holiday home. They allowed casual web surfers like me one hour to find out whatever you could from the outside world before cutting off my access (painful if you're not ready for it) and that was about it.

So here I am, just back from my holiday, uploading my first article for almost a week, and I hope you enjoy it accordingly. Now I'm back from The Land The Internet Forgot, you should find I'm a lot more prolific than I have been in the days to come.

...

One memory that many of us seem to share with great affection is that of the first football match we ever went to. I'd like those of you visiting SPAOTP to tell myself and the rest of the audience about your memories if you'd care to, but in the meantime let me tell you mine.

The first football match I ever went to was between my favourite team, West Ham United, and Orient (often, as now, known as Leyton Orient) on Saturday, December 26th 1980. I was nine years old and West Ham were playing in the old Second Division. The former was something I'd experience only once in my life, the latter would happen all too regularly for my own personal liking.

The opportunity to go and watch The Hammers for the first time came about when my aunt Sylv suggested it'd be a good idea for her son (my cousin and fellow West Ham supporter) Keith to take me along to see a game at Upton Park as that was where he chose to spend many of his Saturday afternoons anyway.

There was also the added exciting bonus of sleeping over at Sylv's house that same night before returning to my family home the following morning. As you may agree, the prospect of spending the night in someone else's house when you're only nine is about as exhilarating as it gets, so I didn't need to be asked twice on this one.

And then came the big day. I didn't live very far away from Sylv and Keith so I arrived at their house in next to no time that Saturday lunchtime. After a quick hello and goodbye, Keith and I jumped on a bus (I think it was the number 5 but it's both difficult to remember and largely irrelevant) and before long we were walking along Green Street near the Boleyn Ground.

I seem to recall we arrived a little early - probably just before 2 o'clock, but Keith suggested we get our tickets, go through the turnstiles and find our place on the near-empty terraces. And yes, it was terraces in those days. None of this new-fangled all-seater business. You stood on the concrete steps like the 30,000-odd other fans and that was about all the luxury you were afforded.

Anyway, the rest of the afternoon was a bit of a blur. The fans started to arrive the nearer we got to kick-off (a tradition that continues to this day, I can confirm) but the wait seemed to be endless. One welcome distraction, however, came when I looked up at the commentary box behind me and spotted Brian Moore.

Moore was the number 1 commentator on ITV back then and remained in that key position until his death in 2003. Renowned for his balding pate and his friendly, reverential commentary, Moore could often be seen up in his crow's nest at Upton Park surveying the action down below. The ITV cameras often visited West Ham's ground - more, I suspect because it wasn't far away from their studios on the South Bank of the Thames than because West Ham were anything approaching a top side of that era.

Anyway, the thought that West Ham v Orient would be featuring on 'The Big Match' that evening added an extra frisson of excitement to the proceedings, and when West Ham went on to win 3-1, you could be certain that I'd be staying up until 10.30 that night to watch the highlights of the self same match.

And therein lies another difference to the football of today. Back then, us Brits weren't spoon-fed wall-to-wall coverage of every goal from every game on TV. You had one 'highlights' show on a Saturday night or a Sunday afternoon and nothing else. They'd show the goals and best bits from three games and not all of those were from the top flight, so if your team wasn't featured, you were out of luck. But anyway, that's another story for another time...

Back to the plot. Keith and I got home from the match, me with my programme rolled up under my arm and a broad smile all over my face. We had our evening meal, talked all night about the game and before you knew it, it was 10.30 and ITV were showing my first ever match in highlight form all over again. It was a strange experience, seeing a game on TV I'd attend only hours earlier, but it nicely rounded off an exciting day that still lives with me as I approach my 37th birthday.

Upton Park was a different place then. It had a certain bleakness about it, but there was some good football played at the time and the players who ran out onto the pitch in their claret-and-blue shirts were, for someone of my age, legends in their own small way. Though I've seen many games at Upton Park since then, I'll never forget the first time I walked through the turnstiles and saw football 'in the flesh'. It was December 26th 1980, West Ham were playing Orient and it was a day to be frozen in my consciousness until the day I die.

9 comments:

Chris (B Squad) said...

I had the same kind of experience, but with baseball. While growing up in Virginia, my Dad and I drove up to Baltimore to see an Orioles game. I was 8 at the time, and although I wasn't an Orioles fan, I can remember being so excited to see Cal Ripken Jr.

It was also one of the last seasons played at Memorial Stadium. There aren't many opportunites to see games at stadiums from that era. Unlike Europe, we prefer to tear stadiums down and build a new one rather than expand and remodel the old one. The only notable exceptions are Wrigley Field in Chicago and Fenway Park in Boston.

Anonymous said...

My first match was a legendary match.My mother,my brother and myself went to Borussia Dortmund vs.Dynamo Dresden.We bought our tickets on the black market(im not sure if it is called like that in english)because our stadium had a capacity of only 42800 in that time and you had to have luck to get a ticket.
In the first half we got a penalty but missed to score.In the second half we won 4:0.But the legendary thing in this match were 5 Red Cards (Dortmund:2,Dresden:3).What do you want more?5 red cards,1 penalty missed and your team wins 4:0 - wonderful start in my supporter-career!

Terry Duffelen said...

Millwall 0 Crystal Palace 3 20th August 1977.

My Dad took me to see the proto Team Of The 80's which would cause so much mirth in the future.

I got wrapped round the back of the head by a Millwall fan.

Every night I wake up screaming. Some wounds never heal ;)

Keving said...

I went to numerous games when I was younger. I can remember snippets but faitherG says my first game was in Aberdeen and a 4-1 defeat around 1981.

I was 5 at the time and he says I dug up the beach end.

Went to other games round that time, remember Dundee Utd striker Davie Dodds scoring a hat trick against as Celtic Park but the first 90 mins I remember was the 1985 cup final.

2-1 Celtic, two late goals and I was in love.

It was that point I understood what it was all about.

Chris O said...

Thanks for all your messages, everyone. What's the deal in the US, Chris B? Is it just a movement to retain an ultra-modern environment to host sports venues? Is tradition and heritage not much of a priority?

Hi BVBorussia... First of all, yes it is called the Black Market here! Sounds like an incredibly eventful match you got to see! Beats my first game by a long way!

Injuries aside, Duffman, did you see any indications that Palace really could be the Team of the Eighties? Or were you concussed by then??!?!?

Shame that your first Celtic match was a defeat, Keving. Did that temper your enthusiasm for a while? Great memories after that though, by the sound of it! :-)

Keving said...

ChrisO: I canny remember anything about that game. FaitherG says it was my first and told me today that a polis women keep on giving me sweeties!!!!!

Makes a change...as they are usually trying to arrest us in Aberdeen now.....

It didnae temper my love of the game.Made me realise that defeat is part of the game.

In fact, I can remember listening to my first every european game on the radio.....

Now that is obsessive....

oh, it was Celtic v Rapid Vienna...if anyone was interssted...

Terry Duffelen said...

Chris O, My overwhelming memory of that period is Vince Hilaire's mighty afro. I spoke to the great man once at a charity cricket match. I'll never forget what I said to him: "Where's Dave Swindlehurst?" He was at Derby.

Chris O said...

Yes it's funny how the attitude of the police changes the older you get, isn't it Keving?!?!

Ah, Vince Hilaire. I remember that afro too. One of the few players I could guarantee to get in my Panini sticker album every year, without fail.

Good old Dave Swindlehurst. He ended up at my club, circa 1983, as has already been seen on 'The Big Match Revisited' (ITV4 - Thursdays). Natural successor to David Cross, but that's another story.

Chris (B Squad) said...

I'm not sure why there why stadia are frequently replaced. I think it's a status symbol of the city. In Pittsburgh, we're currently on our 4th baseball park. Not terrible for 120 years, but a lot of time and money could have been saved by giving Forbes Field a facelift.
I think another issue is that unlike Europe, we have one team per city rather than many neigborhood based teams. Old fields were and are still located in residential neigborhoods. In the 60's and 70's (The dome/bowl era), the stadia were moved to central locations to accomodate parking and adequate traffic management.
We have three prefessional teams and their buildings are all within walking distance of each other.

We Love SPAOTP!

  © Blogger template Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP