Thursday, August 16, 2007

A Gray matter

Is it me?

Be honest, because if it is, I'd like to know. I'd appreciate your honesty, dear reader.

It's just that I have watched some of the new Premier League season on Sky Sports and something is already irritating me - and no, it's not the Spurs performances.

Sky co-commentator Andy Gray, he of Everton and Scotland 'fame', just won't shut up.

Now, before you leap in with both feet, legs, arms, torso and kitchen sink, I would like to point out that I am fully aware that he has always been a 'bit of a chatter-box' - to put it politely. But thus far this season his co-commentary seems to have extended into the realms of main commentary, psychic phenomenon, and Uri Gellar-style mind-bending tricks.

The usual quips of "Good hit, son" and "Take a bow, son" are still there for our aural pleasure, but this season he is being particulary adventurous.

He's talking more and sometimes talking over the main commentator (which sounds good in theory, I'll grant you). No longer content with commenting on action replays he seems to have taken it upon himself to oust the commentator and describe the action to us himself.

I'd love Sky to equip the commentary booth with just one microphone. It'd be great to listen to the muffled bashing of the mic during the ensuing 'I had it first' argument.

What's getting to me most, however, are his comments telling the players what to do. Does he really think they they can hear him?

"Pass it now, son…"
"Go wide, son…"
"{insert name of player here} is unmarked, son…".


That's all well and good when you have a great vantage point up in the rafters as he has, but when you are in the heat of the battle with instant decisions to make, it is somewhat different.

Heaven help the player who doesn't make the move as suggested / predicted by 'The Gray One'? My god do we hear about it, and usually for the next minute.

"He chose the wrong option there..." {I wish I could recite the rest of whatever follows, but luckily my brain switches off at that point. Suffice to say it's usually a minute of inane drivel on why Andy is right and everyone else is wrong.}

It's all well and good thinking these things, as I'm sure we all do it. You're at a match, you see something and think "Pass it now!" If it happens, you applaud (yourself?) and if it doesn't, you curse the player. In the main, they are comments that don't leave your head but with Andy Gray it's different. He's like the devil on your shoulder, the voice in your head telling you to do something when all you want to do is scream "SHUT UP!"

Andy Gray is the bloke behind you at the football match, who won't shut up, the one someone ends up asking to "Shut up", who's tries to play the game 'his way or no way', acting like a frustrated father yelling at his son, living his football via his offspring whilst pacing up and down the touchline of a youth football pitch on a Sunday morning.

Or is it me? Be honest…

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes Smart it IS you.

I totally agree with all you have said about Gray, but I must take issue over one point.

Go to any football ground and unless there is something different about Spurs fans, almost everyone has thoughts like "pass it now!". Almost all of these fans DO NOT keep those thoughts inside their heads, but yell them at the top of their voice.

In a similar way, almost no-one watching the match in the pub keeps quiet.

Therefore it is definately YOU
QED.

Chris O said...

True, Kedge, but what I think Smart's trying to say is that Andy Gray and all his co-commentator bretheren are paid to be measured and incisive in their comment rather than spilling out whatever's going through their mind at any given moment.

Did I gauge that right, Smart?!?

Smart said...

I thought I summed that up in the closing paragraph:

"Andy Gray is the bloke behind you at the football match, who won't shut up, the one someone ends up asking to "Shut up", who's tries to play the game 'his way or no way', acting like a frustrated father yelling at his son, living his football via his offspring whilst pacing up and down the touchline of a youth football pitch on a Sunday morning."

Anonymous said...

I understood what you meant about Gray but maybe I was being a little too pedantic or nit-picking.

I just wanted to find a flaw in your argument so that I could prove it WAS you.

I guess it's not suprising that Spurs and Hammers fans are taking everything too seriously at the moment. (ducks back down to avoid flying bricks).

Smart said...

We're only 2 points behind the Champions, so it can't be THAT bad.

*lobs brick*

Smart said...

Sorry, make that 1 point ABOVE the champions.

We Love SPAOTP!

  © Blogger template Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP